YouTube has announced a new way to buy advertising in the form of YouTube Select.
A new global content solution called YouTube Select has been announced in the month of May’20 to help advertisers connect better with their audiences and explore new ones. It is sought to be a re-imagination and unification of solutions like Google Preferred and prime packs, which sold ads on the top 5% of YouTube channels based on popularity and engagement.
YouTube Select offers a diverse mix of content packages called line-ups to help find the right content for your brand, each tailored to globally and locally relevant needs like beauty and fashion, entertainment, technology, sports and everything in between.
Like Google Preferred (which is to be phased out by the end of 2020), YouTube Select is meant to give advertisers access to a more curated, higher-quality selection of creators and publishers. YouTube Select is also introducing a package focused specifically on YouTube and YouTube TV content that’s streaming to TVs. And it’s adding new lineups of up-and-coming or niche creators.
YouTube is hoping to appeal to all advertisers, whether they want to reach TV audiences or want the flexibility to quickly end their ad campaigns, which is more easily done on digital and streaming services.
Custom sponsorship and programs. are also available to help brands target audiences across top YouTube apps and verticals like YouTube Kids, Sports, Music and Originals.
TV audience targeting.
- YouTube says more than 100 million people watch YouTube and its over-the-top (OTT) service YouTube TV monthly in the U.S.
- To take advantage of this surge, advertisers in the U.S. will be able to target a dedicated streaming TV lineup. The TV lineup will include YouTube Originals, live sports, movies, news and content from popular creators.
- The company previously announced Brand Lift measurement on TV screens. It will eventually be available globally for the YouTube app and YouTube TV.
- Advertisers will be able to buy into some YouTube Select lineups via Google Ads, Display & Video 360 and reservation in many countries, including most countries in Europe and Asia-Pacific. Ad buying options will vary by region.
Why we care.
- Connected TV (CTV) viewing has increased considerably during the COVID-19 pandemic. YouTube Select will help YouTube monetize this new behaviour.
- Brand advertisers can target YouTube Select locally tailored lineups of technology, food & recipe, Spanish, entertainment & pop culture, comedy, music and other content categories.
- YouTube says global lineups delivered an average awareness lift of 13% and an average purchase intent lift of 9% in 2019.
- YouTube is continuing its efforts to expand its advertising platform in an effort to compete with traditional television.
- With YouTube Select, advertisers will have access to advanced brand suitability controls, as well as the option to only serve ads on videos that have been machine-classified and human-verified across all lineups (lineup/market dependent).
- YouTube uses a “P Score” to decide which shows made the cut for Google Preferred. This criterion evaluated the passion and popularity of its audience (hence the name P Score), along with protection.
YouTube Select will give advertisers the ability to exclude specific shows, either because they don’t want to be associated with them, or because they have already bought against them in their traditional TV buys.
Advertisers will also have robust targeting options backed by Nielsen, going beyond simple TV demographics of age and gender.